Real change can happen when we view life through the lens of the individuals we work with and place them at the heart of our work.
Vicky’s passion for working in brain injury began whilst working as an assistant OT on an acute stroke ward. Inspired by her experience, she went on to become a fully qualified OT and has spent her entire career in this exciting and rewarding field. Vicky’s experience spans acute neurology, specialist inpatient and community-based rehabilitation. A particular strength is her experience of working in multi-disciplinary teams to solve complex client needs. Having joined the management team at Krysalis she looks forward to bringing her front line experience to support Jo and the team.
- Detailed assessment knowledge of clients with complex and multifaceted difficulties following acquired brain injury (ABI).
- A diverse mix of treatment skills including vocational rehabilitation; sensory integration; fatigue management; upper limb & splinting techniques and cognitive rehabilitation.
- Training and development of peers, rehabilitation assistants and care workers.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent time management and organisational skills.
Krysalis Consultancy Ltd
2019 – Current
Clinical Manager role for Krysalis Consultancy. Supporting the clinical director with the clinical development of the neurological occupational therapy consultancy service.
- Implementation of clinical strategy and development of the service in line with the overall business objectives.
- Supervision, mentoring and development of neurological occupational therapists.
- Developing and delivering training and competency programs to a highly-skilled workforce.
- Responsible for reviewing, producing and implementing clinical company policies and procedures
Consultant Neurological Occupational Therapist
2013 - Current
Carrying a diverse case-load of complex clients with ABI, from minimally conscious through to high functioning individuals wishing to return to work.
- Assessment and treatment of individuals with cognitive impairment using a range of standardised assessment including BADS, HADS, COPM, TEA and comprehensive functional assessments.
- Assessment and treatment of sensory changes following ABI.
- Analysis of post brain injury fatigue and implementation of fatigue management programs.
- Vocational rehabilitation (VR) ranging from employment advice through to implementing VR programs in the workplace and educational institutions.
- Multi-agency working with case managers; neuro-psychologists; speech and language therapists; physiotherapists; GPs and care home managers.
- Assessment of moving and handling equipment including postural and seating equipment.
- Training and advice to care workers on postural positioning and safe moving and handling techniques.
- Development of rehabilitation assistant programs and relevant documentation surrounding this including care plans and risk assessments.
Glenside Manor Brain Injury & Rehabilitation Services
Senior Neuro OT
May 2015 - Jan 2017
Senior Neuro OT was responsible for managing a caseload of complex clients within a neurological residential rehabilitation facility.
- Working with a wide variety of clients with complex needs including those with challenging behaviour, minimally awareness states, cognitive and executive dysfunction and complex physical needs.
- Provision of person-centred rehabilitation programme working with support workers implementing guidance found with care plans and risk assessments.
- Use of evidence-based treatment approaches within an occupational therapy framework.
- Development of a splinting clinic.
- Responsible for supervising and providing peer support to other OTs.
- Responsible for the development and training of student OTs.
Somerset Partnership NHS Trust
Senior OT - Stroke and long term conditions
July 2010 - May 2015
Responsible for managing a case-load of in-patient and community clients who had suffered a stroke.
- Working closely with the multidisciplinary team on discharge planning and re-integration into the community following a stroke.
- Working with adults who had suffered a stroke and their family/carers to enable them to live as independently as possible in their own home.
- Worked closely with the clinical specialist to deliver a program of stroke training to other allied health professionals and rehabilitation/care assistants.
- Involvement in several audit and service development projects.
- During the later stages of working for this NHS trust, I spent some time working in the Independent Living Team in Frome.
Rotherham Foundation Trust, Rotherham Community Hospital
Occupational Therapist - Acute stroke ward
Sept 2009 - May 2010
Responsible for a case-load of acute stroke inpatients. Development of skills in moving and handling individuals in the early stages of recovery from a stroke and formulating rehabilitation plans within the context of discharge planning.
Sheffield Community Brain Injury Rehabilitation Team (SCBIRT)
Junior Occupational Therapist
Sept 2007 - Sept 2009
Responsible for a case-load of complex individuals who had suffered ABI.
- A detailed assessment of cognitive function translated into the development of functional and client-centred rehabilitation plans.
- Working within an interdisciplinary team to formulate treatment plans, produce risk assessments and reintegrate individuals back into the community.
- Provision of training for support workers.
- Development of research to help improve the service.
A few words from Vicky…
I am a busy mother of three young children and a qualified yoga teacher. I love helping children and adults grow and develop to their full potential. Alongside my passion for occupational therapy my pastimes include stepping on Lego; crowbarring toddlers into car seats; and washing and folding never-ending piles of small clothing.