Nichola is focused on delivering a high-quality clinical service and is a highly motivated and enthusiastic occupational therapist. She adopts an original problem-solving approach to her roles and is interested in the power of occupation for individuals with neurological disability. Nichola adopts an innovative approach to helping people live a full and active life in the community. She is passionate about supporting individuals to overcome their challenges.
Krysalis Consultancy January 2020 - Present
Clinical Manager role for Krysalis Consultancy. Supporting the Clinical Director with the clinical development of the neurological occupational therapy consultancy service.
- Implementation of the clinical strategy and development of the service
- Supervision and development of neurological occupational therapists
- Developing and delivering training and competency programs to neurological occupational therapists
- Responsible for reviewing, producing and implementing clinical company policies and procedures
Krysalis Consultancy April 2019 – Present
Neurological Occupational Therapist
Carrying a diverse caseload of complex clients with brain injury and spinal cord injury.
- Assessment and treatment of individuals with cognitive impairment using a range of standardised assessments.
- Assessment and treatment of sensory changes following ABI.
- Analysis of post brain injury fatigue and implementation of fatigue management programs.
- Vocational rehabilitation (VR) ranging from employment advice through to implementing VR programs in the workplace and educational institutions.
- Multi-agency working with case managers; neuro-psychologists; speech and language therapists; physiotherapists; GPs and care home managers.
- Assessment of wheelchairs and posture and seating equipment.
- Training and advice to support workers.
- Development of care assessments and risk management plans.
AJ Case Management
Business Development Manager of the South West
and Case Manager June 2018-April 2019
- Case Management caseload of clients with brain injury and spinal cord injury.
- Built upon a sound knowledge of the case management role and working in the field of litigation.
- Responsible for developing the service and profile of case managers in the South West.
Independent Living Solutions Ltd
Case Manager and Neuro Occupational Therapist September 2007-June 2018
- The diverse caseload of adults and children with a brain injury and spinal cord injury.
- Gained in-depth knowledge of working within the litigation process.
- Developed the posture and seating service.
- An active member of the Adult Neurological Occupational Therapist section delivering treatment programmes to clients in the community.
- Responsible for setting up the training department and delivering training programmes including the organisation of conferences.
Salisbury NHS Trust
Duke of Cornwall Spinal Treatment Centre
Spinal Cord Injury Occupational Therapist July 2000 – September 2007
- Developed a clear understanding of clients with complete and incomplete spinal cord injuries, both in an inpatient and outpatient setting.
- Utilised a range of skills in posture and seating, vocational rehabilitation, hand and upper limb rehabilitation including splinting.
- Developed skills in psychological and emotional management and support.
- Development of the employment and learning clinic.
- Gained a specialist interest in the dual diagnosis of brain injury and spinal cord injury including the development of a cognitive screening programme.
Southampton NHS Trust
Elderly Rehabilitation January 2000 – July 2000
- Skills in the use of standardised assessments.
- Development of knowledge in stroke rehabilitation including cognitive and perceptual assessment and upper limb function.
Southampton NHS Trust September 1998 – January 2000
Junior Occupational Therapist
- Development of skills in assessment of occupation and activities of daily living.
- Initiation and introduction of minor head injury pilot.
A note from Nichola
I feel very privileged to work in a profession that I love but it is equally as important for me to spend time with my lovely family, who are everything to me. I like to appreciate the simple things in life like being outside, eating nice food, walking in the woods or on the beach, sitting by the fire and reading a good book. I love all things creative: interior design, sewing, upcycling and endless makes and bakes with my two girls. I also have a very adventurous side and have enjoyed things such as parachute jumping and white-water rafting. I have a thirst for learning new things, so how lucky am I that I work in a job where I am constantly learning things from other people and how they live their lives.